Blast from the past... Any news?

Welcome to the forums!
GUN_FIRE
Forum Noob

Blast from the past... Any news?

Post by GUN_FIRE » 05 Mar 2014, 11:33

Hey Fellas,

It has been a bloody long time and I still can't get this game, and you lot, out of my head.
Letting you know, that I am still thinking of you guys - good bunch of blokes - even some of those Terrans :)

I think it must be around 10-12 years since the old days.

Let us know if your still floating around out there... So odd that I still think about this game even though there has been so much in my life that has come and gone.

P.S: Walt, if you ever see this mate, send me a message some time: NormanHBeaumont@Gmail.com - Don't facebook me cause that would be creepy you big creeper! :p come to think of it... we didn't have facebook back when this game was played. go figure!

P.s.s: Anyone heard anything else about ISW????

Cheers,
Gun

GUN_FIRE
Forum Noob

Re: Blast from the past... Any news?

Post by GUN_FIRE » 05 Mar 2014, 12:10

hold on 10-12 years? I'm not sure... but really!?? damn. How long was this game out for ? surely a while...

machinehr
Head Moderator

Post by machinehr » 08 Mar 2014, 09:49

Hey!

Its not been quite 10 years... I'm sure the exact date is lying around this forum somewhere, but I think it was some time in 2007 or 2008 this game died... so its been around 5 years since we last played.

There's been various failed attempts to create something similar to this game, the latest news is that some (anonymous) former players are attempting to re-create the game as it was, they've bought up the old URL (http://www.interstellar-war.com/) and got permission to use the old ideas from Witch. You might also want to check out the forum linked on that site.

GUN_FIRE
Forum Noob

Post by GUN_FIRE » 09 Mar 2014, 04:42

Wondering who it is... Napster? I know that bloke was keen. any case. It's good news.

cheers.

Tkd_Champ
Slah'ke Egg Basket

Post by Tkd_Champ » 23 Apr 2014, 16:32

Still hangin..

The Chain
Terran Test Dummy

Post by The Chain » 27 Jun 2014, 10:51

Its always good to see that people remember it like i do. Days come and go, Relationships start and finish, but ISW is eternal :D
I will open up Pandora's Box.... Pandora gave me keys and locks
UNION FOR LIFE
LONG LIVE THE UNION...... LONG LIVE ISW

Jasper-Alexander
I C4N H45 4DM1N 84DG3?

Post by Jasper-Alexander » 21 Sep 2014, 02:30

GUN_FIRE wrote:Wondering who it is... Napster? I know that bloke was keen. any case. It's good news.

cheers.
Actually got curious and did some research, excluding people by tracing them.

The new isw uses a vps supplied by the last company I've heard Napster talk about. Further, it's registered by a tiny UK company, also the one where this very helpsite is registered.

That is fairly compelling evidence, together with John being quiet about this, I suspect he at minimum is supporting it/knows who is doing it.

That said, I don't think it is him. Naps was both very occupied and limited in resources last I spoke him, and he was never a programmer. I've doubts he came around to learning the nessescary languages. He's smart enough sure, but he doesn't have the kind of mindset... He likes making things and pleasing people, but he can't be bothered puzzling with things like code for long. Or couldn't last I met him.

He has however gotten a fair share of ipb experience with some projects we did together...

If he would have had a coma - it would have spread through the community. John wouldn't lie. No way. He can't have changed that much. The guy got a heart of gold. He wouldn't make up some bullshit. So he'd be working with someone who can program and who either had a coma or lied about it. John wouldn't expose such a lie, but he'd leave, in such a case I'd say Daniel. Though they had a tad if a falling out, Itd completely explain why the identity is a secret and why it's gotten quiet - Daniel hates confronting failure and John would feel fairly disgusted.

That said, Daniel has an ego but no feel for people. He wouldn't be Dr. Who. That'd have to be John almost... So that seems a bit unlikely.

John having a serious medical problem surely wouldn't stay a secret.

That makes me conclude the coma thing is sincere, which I rather like to think (as frankly - if it's a lie it's a pathetic move and a serious attack on my hope for humanity)

That means Dr. who is either a fairly solitude isw player (could be Daniel, last I spoke him was years ago and we were both retarded kids, perhaps he did change that much), or someone who never heard of isw.

Frankly, the latter would explain a ton.

All in all I looked everywhere - even found the companies and such if former staff and looked for traces, connections, anything.

My conclusion is I simply don't know yet. I will keep looking.

I hope whomever is making it succeeds - I sincerely do. Too many, including myself, made promises and walked away. Isw needs, deserves, a break.

Oh, and hey gun. Sorry, I get a bit distracted. I love a good mystery.

What happened to your friend Walt? I'm surprised he's not here!

amz181
Morchedi-Wannabe

Post by amz181 » 25 Sep 2014, 13:07

I know who one of them is, but it if they want anonymity, let them have it.

Also I don't particularly care if the coma is legitimate or not. They aren't asking for our money, they aren't working to a deadline. If the project fails, it fails. No harm done. The only downside is a slight bit of disappointment. I don't see why they'd bother faking a coma if they can just simply say "I got busy with work" or "I lost enthusiasm".

Also Jasper, were you one of the guys who set up that IRC to rebuild ISW not so long ago (or did I dream that)?
i have found the ultimate ISW Nicotine Patch

Jasper-Alexander
I C4N H45 4DM1N 84DG3?

Post by Jasper-Alexander » 25 Sep 2014, 19:26

amz181 wrote:I know who one of them is, but it if they want anonymity, let them have it.

Also I don't particularly care if the coma is legitimate or not. They aren't asking for our money, they aren't working to a deadline. If the project fails, it fails. No harm done. The only downside is a slight bit of disappointment. I don't see why they'd bother faking a coma if they can just simply say "I got busy with work" or "I lost enthusiasm".

Also Jasper, were you one of the guys who set up that IRC to rebuild ISW not so long ago (or did I dream that)?
Thing is, I am surprised that, assuming it's real, it didn't leak who it is. And frankly I do care - it would be a massive abuse of good faith if they'd fake such a horrid thing. But as mentioned before, I both assume and hope it's real - which is what makes the whole thing such an interesting mystery! Mysteries are fun.

If they do end up losing interest that's perfectly fine - they don't owe anything everything. But I do hope it's said somewhere. It would also be neat if they'd hand over the domain to someone reliable like Womble, Rhyseu, John who can perhaps open source a remake and use the communities powers.

Seriously - it's been what, 5 years? 6? More? And at minimum 4 failed projects that we know of. If this one does end up failing - why on earth has no one even attempted to unify efforts?

If it fails, and only if it does, someone needs to make a freaking attempt already to do it the open way. Eventually these attempts are going to stop coming.

Irc? Doubt that. I used to work with John a lot - he knows irc shit. Never been my field. My project for a game is still ongoing - I've a whole bunch of prototypes in my portfolio actually. After my "break up" with John I changed direction though - It's too different now to be interesting for former Isw players.

Col
Forum Noob

Post by Col » 12 Nov 2014, 11:38

GUN_FIRE wrote:Hey Fellas,

It has been a bloody long time and I still can't get this game, and you lot, out of my head.
Letting you know, that I am still thinking of you guys - good bunch of blokes - even some of those Terrans :)

I think it must be around 10-12 years since the old days.

Hail Pirate King! I get the same unforgetting tendancy; ISW was the place to be, cause even when you couldn't be bothered playing, there was always someone rambling about something good in the forums. Infact, this may have been the website that taught me how to read :wink:

Always a pleasure to see some familiar names still posting away! Only wish one of my KVN Uber Champs were knocking about. KOLARI KICKED UR ASS IN THE WAR! :o

Now i'm gonna make a brew, stick on 'Take Me Away by 4 Strings', and reminisce on a particular trip to Nullspace 8)

Coven
Morchedi-Wannabe

Post by Coven » 16 Feb 2015, 17:40

On a whim, decided to check in on the site. Good to see I'm not the only one who still misses ISW more than they should for a game that's been gone for almost a decade. :mrgreen: Slight side note, actually got an interview for an internship with a games company coming up. :P Give me another decade and I'll see if I'm in a position to try a spiritual successor.
Coven = Mimelord

Long live the Matrix!

Col
Forum Noob

Post by Col » 23 Mar 2015, 15:06

How'd the interview go? Good luck with it all though, and keep the dream alive!

Coven
Morchedi-Wannabe

Post by Coven » 25 Nov 2016, 20:48

Didn't get that interview, don't even remember what it was, but I'm working at a testing company with Hacker_Head now. Periphery of the games industry, but hey, I got in. :P 9 years to go before spiritual successor.
Coven = Mimelord

Long live the Matrix!